Join our newsletter for the latest culinary delights!
Parklands Sports Club was founded in 1906 in Parklands area, in Nairobi by a group of eleven white settlers with Mr. F. Watkins as its first President. The founders wanted to create a place they could meet, relax and play games and sports while patronizing. The Club acquired its original 99-year land lease on 1st June 1909. A wooden and iron sheet shack that acted as the Clubhouse stood at the current parking Tennis ground
It was later upgraded to a small corrugated iron hut where most of the paperwork was done.
It was during Mr. J. Flint first stint as president from 1927-1932 that the Club experienced its first expansion. There was a large increase of members that led to construction of a Clubhouse. The decision to construct a new Clubhouse was broached in an AGM in 1930. During this time, Tennis had become the main sport followed by Cricket in the Club. On September 1932 the Club entered into an agreement with Nondescripts with the consequent obligation on the part of the Club to provide the latter with Rugby playing ground. On 17th December 1932 the Clubhouse was officially opened at a ceremony attended by Nairobi DC and Kenya's Governor, Sir Joseph Byrne among the distinguished guests who attended the occasion.
To improve service delivery, two rooms were added at the East End of the Club in the year 1936, to allow two billiard tables. It was during this time the Bar was moved to its existing location. In the following year, an Entrance Hall, Library and a Ladies Retiring Room were built. A bigger kitchen was developed and the caterer at that time was Joseph Sequeira, who eventually retired in 1976. It was also in the late 1930s’ Cricket took root in the Club, which had become popular sport in the colonial era.
The Test Matches between Asians and Europeans started to be played at the Club between 1938 –1939, as World War II began its rumblings in Europe. These 3-day matches were played annually up to the 1960s.
In 1947 the Club front was extended and an upstairs room added. The active social and entertainments committee organized popular events like the Annual Hockey dance, and weekly dances with a live band in attendance called Len Wereham and Radio Revellers.
It was during 1950s’ the Squash sport came to the Club. The British Army, which had been brought in to the country to contain the unrest caused by Mau Mau fighters was responsible for its introduction. The Club built two courts and over the years, has provided national players in the country
In 1960s, the Nondescripts built a Clubhouse. This led to the arrival of new young members. The total-playing members increased so much that in 1967, the Club sometimes hosted three Rugby teams on Saturdays’ competitions. It was during the same period when the Squash Inter-Club leagues took off. Parklands Sports Club dominated the national scene at Clubs level by then.
Few days before independence, the Club was warned against discriminating non Europeans through a circular which was issued to all private and non-private Clubs by Mr. Oginga Odinga, the then Minister for Home Affairs. Therefore the issuing of invitations to non –Europeans began which led to increase in membership
It was also during sixties that the game of Squash really caught up at Parklands, and a strong competitive spirit developed, with Club ladders and interClub leagues going on all the time.
By 1970s, the government started africanising jobs which were previously held by foreigners, and made the Club lose 70%-80% of its membership. As the Africans took up the jobs, which were originally owned by the Whites, the Club began registering Africans as the Asians dominated the membership.
In the Year 1979 Mr. Y. A. Shretta was elected as the first non-European Chairman of the Club. Shretta was not even in the Committee, but he was asked to stand against others. It was a breath of fresh air in more ways than one. It was during his tenure when the Club transformed itself into a multi-racial, multi-national and became a Family Club. A master Plan for development was established; amenities were to be added such as cocktail bar, improvements to main Clubhouse, seating arrangements, heating for the swimming pool and a jogging track. Priorities in the development plan were that whatever did not cost much, the Club should implement immediately. Shretta was also responsible for major changes in the Club rules, for example women were allowed to attend General meetings